8.14.2006

Ventilation

People are venting. No, not the usual discharge of accusations, problems and xenophobic rants from the Second Life population. I'm talking about a particular Voice over IP (VoIP) communications software. Ventrilo, or Vent as you will hear people say (probably through your uber sexy headset). It's a noun. It's a verb. It's in my face. Hell, SL was using Skype for participation in an inworld meeting.

I understand the desire, burning need even, for venting in group melee type games and the war scenario games. These online multiplayer games revolve around a strategy of warfare and a coordinated, fast-paced game play. Communication is a key element. Chatting on your headsets as you storm the Bastille or some other bastion of evil seems like a must.

I'm not sure about it in Second Life. More precisely, I'm not sure about how it fits with my SL. I know many folks are using whatever connectivity tools they can tweak to make SL more to their liking. Venting is a natural for the cross-overs taking a break from orc hunting. It's the next evolution from the clunky chat interface.

It isn't a preference for me. Me? I like typing. I have my own issues with it as well. I often spend hours on the phone during the 9 to 5. The fact that I hate talking on the phone makes this a bamboo under the fingernails torture for me. I don't really want to take that feeling into my down time. Granted, I would hopefully be talking to people I enjoy more than the people I'm paid to interact with, but that is by no means a guarantee. Beside my pure hatred of this type of canned-voice communication, I also spend much of my SL ignoring people and multi-tasking. I can always pull the local chat history and read up on what I missed. Voice communication doesn't allow for this in the same quick and dirty way.

Maybe I just have a bad attitude. Probably. I just like things my way. I have the equipment. It isn't the end of the world, but it is a significant change in my interaction with SL that I am not sure I want. This is the trend, though, and sometimes you just gotta say What the Fuck.

I did download the software. I did log on and listen. It was better than trying to keep up with a conversation that I was only getting part of in chat. It was also better than forcing the venters to acquiesce to my eccentricities (not that they would have anyway). So I listened. I'm still alive. No bleeding from the ears. However, I'm still an SL mute. For now, my voice remains my own.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...

i'm pretty much with you on this. i am usually working and chatting in IMs simultaneously. i like text chat. there can be long pauses between replies and it's not awkward or considered rude. i'm not really fond of the phone either, so this undoubtedly makes me bias. i suppose in a group situation where you can opt to just listen and add to the convo if your so inclined might be the best way to break me into the new trend, but i think i will still end up chatting via text 99% of the time.

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.