3.21.2007

It was horrifying, but I just kept watching

I had the TV on. I wasn't actually watching. I was blowing hot air across the Interwebz. The channel was MTV. I'm not sure why that is. MTV is not in my normal rotation. Don't get me wrong, I watch a lot of lowbrow, trash and downright bad TV. Generally, though, not MTV.

It was truly epic in it's insanity. The people are from another planet, possibly another universe. I'm not sure what they are getting out of acting like utter dipshits on national TV, but I hope it was worth it.

The shows in question were Parental Control and Wild Girls of Makos (WGOM). Both versions of the dread reality TV. In the first show, parents of a young gent have issue with his current lady and have undertaken, through the help of MTV, to find him a new one. Mom and Dad have each selected a potential new mate and they sit in a type of Green Room with the current gal and watch the dates unfold on TV. This girl proceeded to hit new levels of crass, call the Dad boring, describe the diminutive stature of Date 2 by saying "you take dumps bigger than that, [Mom's Name]", and got gum in Mom's hair. Needless to say, the young man ends the show by dumping her. Her parting shot...."Don't worry. I'll be seeing you. I've been dating half the team anyway." Superfan indeed.

WGOM follows the travails of the shot girls (the scantily clad ladies hawking trays of liquor in test tubes) at a spring break bar called Makos. We get to watch the three central characters (or caricatures?) reduce the new girls to tears, gleefully announce themselves to be bitches and force the resignation of the other poor girls who fall into their orbit. The height of cool these days is to be the biggest shit you can be and have all the world know it. Bravo ladies. It was also good to see the manager ignore workplace harassment issues as the 3 amigas reduce yet another new shot gal to tears, intentionally throw her test tube shots on the bar floor and finally fill her locker with a nasty combo of stank. Your right Mr. Manager, she should have locked that locker. It was her fault.

I wonder if this really was how all these people wanted to end up. Possibly. They are on TV and that IS the ultimate goal for the Man of the Aughts. I suppose they could have achieved infamy via a few webcam videos on /b/. What's next?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's something sooo ironic about a Second Life junkie posting about the poor lives of those on reality TV.

I'm a geek, so I appreciate your point of view, but, c'mon, we all need to make a living...

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.