1.30.2008

WMDs Found!

It was difficult, but I have identified and come into possession of Weapons of Mass Deliciousness.

I haven't cooked anything remotely interesting in a bit. I dreaded the idea of having to do dishes in my hobbled state. I'm not quite back in black, but I couldn't take it any longer.

Having to listen to my workmate talk in whichever Pakistani dialect she uses, I was struck with a need to do something Middle Eastern. Scouring the interworld for something not exactly Indian, it struck me that I should see how the other half lives. Specifically, something native to Iraq. This did not prove to be as easy as I like things to be.

Much googling was done. A recipe was found. The masses rejoiced.

I selected (and by selected, I mean, this is what I could find) a recipe for Chalabis Red Magloube. I'm taking for granted that any of these people know what they're talking about. The literature is scant. Nevertheless, I assembled ingredients and set to work.

My nemesis was employed to cut up some eggplant and onion, but otherwise there was not much heavy lifting for this.

As the time wound down, the aroma was driving me crazy. A little cardamom goes a long way and provided (with the cinnamon) an amazing and deep flavor profile. I'm quite sure that some tweaking is required, specifically in the amount of liquid used during the early going. However, the outcome was well worth it and I'm going to give it another go with some experience on my side. I also think my need to use meat on the bone made it more unwieldy, but bones make me feel manly (not that there's anything wrong with that).

I could have made it look pretty, but I was starting to drool uncontrollably and it was all I could do to get a picture.



No comments:

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.