10.26.2006

Can I get a Witness?

Urged on by the Metaverse Messenger's own Katt Kongo, I tripped over to The RoC in the Music City sim of SL to check out a live performance. Did I want to see a live Hip Hop performance in SL? I wasn't really sure. I am not genre specific in my musical tastes, so I wasn't dragging my feet due to the musical style alone. It was really the image in my head that SL Hip Hop conjured up, with the bling, the hoochie hair and the maxxxed out sliders.

The more sane part of my brain questioned if anyone would really be asking me to wade into that environment. Besides, though there are a number of high quality live performers in SL, the spectrum of musical styles isn't terribly broad. Why the hell shouldn't I go check it out?

I'm happy that I did. The performance of Witness Go was engaging. He worked the crowd well. The musical style was hard to pinpoint, though definitely had a Hip Hop tinge. Witness ran from a more Trip Hoppy delivery with some funky groove, to a more standard/straightforward lyrical rap and all the way down to a spoken word performance. Despite the seeming contrast, it blended together well. I compared Witness, at points, to Ben Harper, Eminem and The Alkaholiks in both content and sound. Lyrics drew from relationships, life and politics and were clearly well thought through.

It was something different, and for that, it was worth it, but it was more. I'll check Witness Go out again.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.