12.27.2007

Local Nonsense

I just came across this "sidewalk astronomy" concept. I'm kind of surprised I've never seen this. I'm positive that I have been in the general vacinity during one of the 2007 time periods listed on the Chicago Sidewalk Astronomy Club website. I was probably distracted, drunk or a victim of spontaneous temporary blindness. Possibly all three.

The gig seems to involve this fellow, Dennis Erickson (presumably not the ASU football coach), sets up shop on one of the street corners in Chicago with his equipment and shows people the great spectacles of the universe. Weather permitting, of course. I'll have to wait until spring since this doesn't go on during below 40 degree temperature days.

From the pictures, it seems his telescope is bigger than mine. I should feel shame and intimidation, but I find myself curiously interested and looking for an opportunity to get my hands on Erickson's glistening tube.

His site also links to the International Dark-Sky Association, a group concerned with light pollutions and energy waste. So many causes. This one seems doomed to obscurity, but the obvious connection with ongoing energy concerns has resulted in a bit of recent publicity for these folks. I'm all for it as a means to ease my sky watching endeavours, which are hampered by my living in the center of a perpetual light explosion. However, I will admit that it looks stupendous on a dark arrival into ORD.

Dennis isn't the only one out there looking to have fun doing what they enjoy. I ran across the Windy City Hikers page today as well (perhaps in the Trib, I don't recall). I thought meetup.com was dead, but this is the third time in a week I've seen it come to my attention. I just need a meetup mashup combining all these great activities with my usual bacchanalia.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.