10.23.2008

Diwali - Find a place to do it


Festival of Light and all that jazz. No better reason to go experience something.

Suggestions for Chicagoans
here and here.

I'm pretty sure something will be happening near Devon Ave. Just park a few blocks away and walk or cab over there.

I like this fellow's description of his Devon Ave experience. Read it all, it reeks of Devon. Here's an excerpt:



I knew we were on Devon Avenue even before I had had a chance to read the
road sign. I knew when I saw the festive store signs, in everything from Arabic
to Gujrati lettering, advertising everything from halal meat to electronics to
luggage to fish. I knew when I saw the colorful stores with hot pink sarees,
neon yellow salwaars and bright purple skirts. I knew when I saw the familiar
throng of people in pyjamas and prayer hats strolling down the street. I knew
when I saw the paan shop and little groups of people idling around outside the
store on a weekday. I knew right then I was in Mera Hindustan. Ahem. That is,
Little India. Or Litte Pakistan. Or Little Bangladesh.



On a side note, I'm pretty sure this add doesn't say what it meant to.


1 comment:

fj said...

love that ad!!

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.