8.16.2007

Collision Course


One small stumble for my dietary regimen......one giant leap for snack food adventurers.

I once again fell victim to a well placed in-store display and a fancy new Doritos bag. I'm not even much of a consumer of chips, though I do enjoy an occasional Dorito, but only very occasionally. It takes momentous leaps in snack food innovation such as the new Doritos Collisions to sucker me into it.

The Collisions are, according to the bag, "2 flavors - 1 bag". Nicely highlighted by the clashing red and blue color scheme. There were two options. I chose the Hot Wings - Blue Cheese package. It seemed a natural. Some deep emotional issues steered me away from the Zesty Taco - Chipolte Ranch flavor (that's how the damn package spelled it, stop bitchin' at me). I do have a fondness for chipotle, it's flavorful and it sends people into linguistic fits trying to force the correct pronunciation out of their drooling mouths. I have no such warm and fuzzy feelings about ranch flavorings.

Anyhow, on with the business at hand.....the taste test.

Upon opening the package, I thought all the chips were the same, or at least looked the same. The flavors seemed hard to pinpoint and I began to wonder if perhaps I misunderstood and the flavors were on each chip, one flavor per side. I summarily dumped the bag out and took stock of the situation. The lighter blue cheese chips were all toward the bottom of the bag. Interestingly, the count was about 3 to 2 in favor of the Hot Wings flavor chip. I choose to think this trends along the lines of the ratio of wing to sauce in general and was mildly pleased, whether that was the intention or not (of course not, but let a dreamer dream, assface).

The Blue Cheese flavor fooled me a bit. Seemingly bland, the distinctive blue cheesiness snuck on to the palate late. The familiar tang became increasingly easier to connect with on each subsequent tasting. The Hot Wing flavor is fairly usual fare in snack foods, and this was certainly a capable rendition, in its fashion. The "hot" came with a decent bite, but subtle. Not the searing heat of a wasabi miscalculation, but something that kept building. Eventually, without the aid of soothing liquid, resulting in a weak sniffle. Overall, not as exciting as the X13-D Experiment back in June, but still solid. Nevertheless, I probably won't repeat.

And now for a bit of nitty-gritty. The numbers....

Serving size of 1 oz is alleged to be 11 chips (2.5 servings in the bag). Now, 11 chips does sound minimal, but it isn't that bad. I'm sure they have their weights all tallied nicely, but I couldn't tell you from chip count. There very well may have been 28 chips in that bag, but I would need a master puzzler to sort it out from all the tiny shards. I do find it curious that the bag has two columns of info, one for the 1oz serving and one with the info for the entire package. Confusing message, if you ask me.

The 1 oz serving nets 150 calories (70 from fat), 8g of fat (1.5g of saturated fat), 270mg of sodium, 17g carbs, 2g protein.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.