3.20.2008

Lazy Picks

I didn't watch any amount college basketball this year. It has become less and less interesting. I hope and I pray that somehow the dilution of both the NCAA hoops and the NBA from the massive influx into the NBA of raw talent with no physical presence, no basketball IQ and little desire for hard work. Now the college ranks are packed with 18-year-olds looking to get one year of play and some national exposure before jumping to a big payday in the NBA, regardless of if they ever prove to be worth that money or win any games of significance.


As a result, I have a hard time watching basketball at all and it is no different for this fiasco of a tournament. Despite what pundits say, this is not the most exciting event in sports, it's just one of the most heavily gambled on. Hence the reason I bother to pay attention at all. Normally I would do a bunch of work to think this out, but frankly it doesn't really matter that much anyway. For every upset you nail, some heralded team fizzles and leaves your predictions in shambles. It comes down to getting the last segments of the bracket correct. Just by virtue of waking up in the morning, I've heard more than I care to about the teams the should end up on top of the pile. Odds are heavily in favor of the top seeds....and for good reason.


I filled this sucker out in just a few minutes, with only a cursory thought toward the stats. I present this bracket almost unchanged from my first impression run through. The only adjustments I made were to put Vandy over Wisconsin, feeling my Big 10 bias was showing, and putting Texas in the final vs UCLA, because I just don't like UCLA.





No comments:

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.