3.05.2008

Scraping the Barrel

Every so often you have to go on a series of epicurean adventures that serve the sole purpose of using up items tilting toward the wrong side of fresh. You stand in the kitchen, open the cupboards and the fridge, and try to create some harmony with the elements.

You end up with strange sandwiches, garbage salads and casseroley concoctions. When I'm particularly lazy, I tend to dispense with any sort of culinary balance or S.O.P. Confronted with items that I simply will not throw out, I am bound to brave whatever boiling occult potion I can come up with using said item du jour.

In this case, the item happened to be some very good, fat-bodied shrimp I had left over from doing a simple cocktail on Friday. If I didn't do something, I was going to let good Crustacea go zombie. Being an essentially lazy soul, I tried to go easy on myself.

The result was surprisingly tasty. I have no picture to bolster my claim that any of this actually happened. I simply wasn't prepared and once I dug in, it was too late. As such, this post comes to you bare arsed nekkid.

The lowdown:

  • leftover pile of shrimp
  • last remnants of fresh herbs (oregano, thyme)
  • spices always at the ready to help in these situations (ground red pepper, ground coriander)
  • packet of udon noodles (without the soup spices, which I set aside for later use)
  • chili oil
  • olive oil
  • duck sauce
  • random celery stalks

While I lightly steamed the shrimp (not completely cooking them), I chopped the celery into insanely thin slices and then diced. When the shrimp was not quite done, I quickly tossed it with the chopped fresh herbs, the spices and the celery.

Simultaneously (you and me and her....SIMULTANEOUS), I heated up the wok with the chili oil and olive oil (roughly 50/50), then tossed in the shrimp and celery mix along with the noodles. Stir fried that for a few minutes to get the shrimp and noodles to come correct, then added enough duck sauce to coat and let it smolder in its juices for another minute or so.

Spicy, but not a five alarm disturbance. The spices blended nicely with the duck sauce and the spiciness. You can call it a creolasian shrimp stir fry. I'll call it dinner.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.