3.08.2008

Yak This Way

I was buzzing through someone's flickr photos and there was a nice pic of a yakitori street vendor. Naturally, it made me hungry. I ran out to get some things to help me bring that flickr to life in my own kitchen.

By the way, street vendors are a joy. You can find them everywhere. Just follow your nose. I know some of you probably would have a hard time doing that, given that your nose is scrunched up in disgust. Let me assure you, not that many people die eating this shite. Besides, it's a great way to grab some true local food if you are on holiday. It's also a spectacular way to end a good night on the town.

So, to the business at hand...

This requires very little in the way of ingredients. Chicken thighs, spring onion (Japanese leek if you have access), soy sauce, sake, honey (or sugar) and garlic (optional).

The soy, sake, honey and garlic (pressed into mush) go in a pan to reduce by about half. Having gotten that accomplished, take the chicken (cubed) and onion (inch long sections) and jab them alternately onto bamboo skewers. Cover with the sauce. Put the skewers on the grill. Baste liberally and remove when cooked.

This stuff is good.




Since the liquor store is in the opposite direction, I grabbed what I could in the way of sake from the grocer. The white plastic cover of this ridiculous little bottle acts as a tiny sake glass. It didn't really matter for this purpose, but I'm fairly sure that this isn't the "finest Japanese sake". You don't think they would lie to me, do you?


No comments:

Powered by Blogger

Creative  Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.